Fishing Wars Memorial Bridge debuts

Bridge connecting Tacoma to Fife over Puyallup River re-opens

After a 17 month closure, the span formerly known as the Puyallup River Bridge has begun anew as the Fishing Wars Memorial Bridge. 

The new bridge can hold up to 20 tons, doubling the capability of the old bridge and enabling empty trucks to leave Port of Tacoma through the crossing. 

The name of the bridge is in honor of a collaboration between the Puyallup Tribe of Indians and the City of Tacoma.

The original bridge opened in 1927 as part of the Pacific Highway and needed to be replaced due to age.  

The Fishing Wars Memorial Bridge runs parallel to Interstate 5 providing an important connection between Fife, the Port of Tacoma and the City of Tacoma.

PSRC provided $12.2 million in funding for this project.