Are you a high school student who is curious about how cities grow, change, and develop? Have you ever wondered how governments decide where train lines go? Do you have ideas about how to make our communities better places for everyone? If so, you should apply for the Summer Planning Academy (SPA)!
SPA is a leadership development opportunity offered free of charge to students interested in planning a better future for our region. SPA introduces students to planning topics through engaging sessions, activities, and site visits led by regional planning experts at PSRC, colleagues from partner agencies, and leaders from the community. The program encourages students to think creatively about how better planning can help people lead better lives. SPA can also help young people map out the required steps toward a career in the planning field.
Upon successful completion of SPA, students are eligible to receive a $500 scholarship. Students will also receive a certificate to include in college, vocational and/or job applications.
- Live in King, Kitsap, Pierce, or Snohomish County and attend a local high school
- Must be at least 15 years old at start of program
- Be able to attend in-person sessions
- If the student is under 18, have the permission of a parent or guardian to participate
The dates of commitment are:
- Week 1: July 21, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Week 2: July 28, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Week 3: August 4, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Week 4: August 11, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Lunch will be provided to participants. All sessions will begin and end at PSRC's office located at 1011 Western Avenue, Ste 500, Seattle, WA 98104.
Application period closes Monday, May 15. Decisions will be sent by Thursday, June 1.